Oh, Curly Hair! The love-hate relationship we have with our tresses is definitely relatable by curlies world-over. From sprightly on point curls on certain days to waking up looking like Hagrid at times, curly hair makes every day interesting!
When it comes to hairstyles, a lot of curlies are at a loss of how to flaunt their crowning glory. Well, look no further for here's a list of fun and doable hairstyles to rock your curls:
The Curly Ponytail : Kick it old school and tie your hair into a ponytail using a scrunchie or high up with a puff-cuff. It’s comfortable, chic and adds a natural bounce to your curls.
Curly Updo : Wondering how to handle your day 3/4 curls? Simply updo! Gather your curls into a high topknot for a statement look. This does even adds definition and height to rounder face shapes.
- Volumized Curls : On wash or refresh days, simply finger-coil your strands with a mousse or conditioner and then diffuse for natural loose curls with a side of pizzazz!
- Half-Up Half-Down : Here’s a low maintenance do that pays off big time in terms of style. Channel your inner celebrity and try the hairdo that catches the paparazzi cameras on casual strolls. Simply grab the top half of your hair, smoothen it with your hands and maybe a little mousse and tie the section with a fabric scrunchie. This look keeps hair out of your face and still flaunts your natural curl pattern.
Born this Way : Maybe this isn’t a case of #WokeUpLikeThis, but, hey, no one has to know! Simply plop your hair down, run your favourite leave-in conditioner through the strands and air-dry for an au natural look that celebrates the best of your natural curls!
- Braid ‘Em : Braids are timeless and practically made for curly hair! From classics like the Khaleesi braid to even a simple two-sided cowgirl do, braids are versatile and add an instant sense of fun. Experiment with braids and go with whatever suits your curl type or the shape of your face, or simply whatever you feel like rocking on a given day!
- Sock Bun : Who says you can’t keep your curls away from your face? Try the classic sock-bun do for a look that lasts all-day from work to play. Simply gather your hair into a high ponytail, slip in a hair donut (or a balled-up sock, with an opening of course) and evenly spread your curls around it. Secure minimally with bobby pins and you’re good to go!
- Twisted Ponytail : Add a twist, literally, to your ponytail to flaunt your curls. Divide your hair into three sections – wider in the middle with two smaller side sections. Tie the centre section into a ponytail. Then, take one side segment, twirl and pin to the opposite side around the ponytail. Repeat with the remaining segment. Once done, fluff up your curls and slay!
Scarf -wrapped Pineapple : For another fun way to flaunt the pineapple, take a scarf and tie it at the base of your ponytail, close to your hairline. Spread the scarf out at the back and also tuck in the loose ends of the scarf. Keep the knot beneath the scarf and let your gorgeous curls spill out of the opening. Fancy yet fuss-free!
- Bantu Knots : Get snazzy with some Bantu knots! This one is a bold option so experiment and go with what you feel comfortable with. Simply section your hair into multiple segments, twist tightly and secure. You can either do just the front portion or go all-out and cover the entire surface area of your hair!
- Spiced Up Bun : Simply add some fun to a boring bun with a patterned bandana or headband for some instant chic and character!
What about haircuts with curly hair?
- It all comes down to your stylist. Find a hairdresser who knows how to handle your precious curls. Check in advance if the salon has experience with curly hair and CG friendly products.
- Go to the salon with your natural curls. Avoid pinning your hair or putting in a bun so the stylist can analyse your curl pattern before cutting it.
- Pin it! Pin your favourite hairdos and inspiration but not your hair. Show the stylist a few images of what you expect to ensure that you don’t end up with a nasty mullet or #HairFail.
- Don’t compromise on products. Explain to the salon about your CG journey and carry your own shampoo and styling products if they don’t have them stocked.
- Don’t shy away from layers. Layers help spread the curl weight and add natural volume go add extra bounce to your natural curls.
Do you know of any salons that cater to curly hair? Let us know in the comments below, which will help out other Curlies too!
That’s it for now, Curlies! Do let us know if you try any of these or if you have any tips and styles to share with us as well. Happy Styling!
Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, +91 9945373597 or @letscurlupdotcom on Instagram to answer your questions or even just be a part of our #letscurlup community!